Study. Learn. Do. Teach (In That Order).

Psalm 119:33-36 (NIV)

33 Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees,
    that I may follow it to the end.


34 Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law
    and obey it with all my heart.


35 Direct me in the path of your commands,
    for there I find delight.


36 Turn my heart toward your statutes
    and not toward selfish gain.

Question:


For a couple of nights last month. I was distracted by watching big wave surfing videos on youtube (while parallelables remain unpublished...I know, priorities, right?) Big wave surfing in the Pacific Ocean at the end of January 2014 (specifically "Jaws" in Hawaii on January 19,2014 and "Mavericks" in California January 24, 2014 Billabong XXL tournament) was epic.

In searching for additional big wave photos, I came across a Kelly Slater quote overlaid on a surfing picture regarding studying the waves.

I tell you this, because it balances well with something else that I am currently struggling with.  As I study the concept of blogging, in order to be able to publish Parallelables, I am also learning a lot about how to monetize blogs (with advertising, etc.) in order to increase income and pursue blogging full time.  Despite my pledge to not monetize any blog that focuses on content derived from God's Word, which is freely given, I have been tempted to explore monetization further. Why is that?

This is not only counter to my mission of merely sharing God's messages, but it also serves as a distraction by taking time away from my goal.  In my wanting to get ahead of God's will by establishing and monetizing an affiliate site, in addition to parallelables, I am actually walking further away from God's will for me.  I am also not allowing Him to bless me.


Answer:

"We study to learn. We learn to do. We do to teach. Study to do or study to teach and you will fail."

I know (I've studied)  how the pros are able to ride those massive waves, by finding their line on the wave. But, that doesn't make me qualified to hop on a surfboard at one of the big wave spots, and attempt to find the line. I'd be in a lot of trouble and would quickly find the bottom!

We must always start with the basics.

Ask yourself, "From what I've learned (by studying), what should I begin doing...and how do I go about that?"  Then learn that. Then go do that.

Studying gives us a big picture overall. Then, we must break things down into basic components, in order to get started properly, if we want to succeed.


Going Forward:  

I will continue to attempt to remain faithful in posting the parallelable messages that God provides. And I will continue to study God's word more deliberately, in order to learn what He would have me do to more fully serve Him.

Thanks be to God for his perfect timing. Thanks to Him who called me, before I was born, to do this (what He would have me to do today).

No comments:

Post a Comment